Saturday, October 27, 2012

Updated First Blog

This past Wednesday I sent up a MicroAquarium in or to do a study regarding a collection of microorganisms.  To set up the study I selected a water source and added two separate plants to the water. The water I selected was extracted by our instructor from Dean’s Woods-Spring Creek. Spring Creek is located in Knoxville Tennessee off Woodson Drive and runs through Dean’s Woods Road frontage at N35 55.274 W083 56.888 at 848ft. The creek is partially shaded and is from the Tennessee River shed and fissidens fontanus moss is present in the stream. I collected the water in three separate areas taking 1/3 of the needed water from each. The three areas were the bottom which included some sediment, the middle, and the very top of the water source.  After this I added two separate plants to the aquarium. The first plant that I added was from a Natural spring at Carters Mill Park located at the coordinates N36 01.168 W83 42.832 . This name of this plant is amblestegium and is a type of moss. The second plant added was a flowering plant that came from the south shore of Spain Lake located at N35o55 12.35” W088W020’ IN Sparta, TN. It is now growing in the greenhouse outside of the Hesler Biology Building. The name of this second plant is ulticularia gibba. After adding both of these plants and water I placed the MicroAquarium on its side to view the organisms inside it. I observe the individual plants but did not see anything that was moving, going forward I look forward to see the organisms evolve.  The information that I included regarding the plants and watersource can be found at the floowing link; http://botany1112012.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment