Sunday, October 28, 2012

Week one was amazing!!!! Living organisms in there.


 On Friday October 26th I had the opportunity to spend three amazing hours from 11-1 EST in room 202 of the Hesler Biology Building on the University of Tennessee campus observing my Micro Aquarium. During this time I was able to view my active aquarium under a microscope and was also able to take images of some of the organisms. To say the least once I put the aquarium under the microscope and began to see the movement I was shocked.  It may be my ignorance but I never knew that such a wide array of living things in such a small place was possible! This was truly a great discovery. I began by searching the bottom on the Micro Aquarium and to my surprise almost immediately spotted a living organism that looked like something out of a science fiction movie. Right then I asked for the assistance of Ken McFarland to help me identify this organism, to what he described as a Cyclops. (Image One) This was confirmed in a book that was located in the room that exampled this time of creature. (Pennak) I have attached an image of this incredible creature. Some more of the organisms that I viewed, all that were identified by Mr. McFarland, were the following; a flatworm, an annelid worm, and even an aeolosoma hemprichi. The latest mentioned, the aeolosoma hemprich, was verified by figure 9 on page 299 of the book titled, Fresh-water Invertebrates of the United States; Protozoa to Mollusca, 3rd Edition. I have also attached an image of this organism, truly breathtaking! (Image Two)When leaving the room I did add more water to the aquarium as some had evaporated and wanted to make sure that the creatures had enough room to live and roam. Next week when I check back I hope to locate and identify many more organisms and add more photos for everyone’s enjoyment, great stuff!

Image One



Image Two



Pennak, R. W. 1989. Fresh-water Invertebrates of the United States; Protozoa to Mollusca, 3rd Edition. New York: John Wiley and Sons, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment