Sunday, November 4, 2012

Second Week, Food = New Life!!


I observed my Micro Aquarium this past week on Wednesday, October 31, 2012. This week I saw an enormous amount of activity as compared to the first week! This had to be directly related to ONE Beta Food Pellet being added to the aquarium on October 26, 2012. This information was provided by http://botany1112012.blogspot.com/, it mentions that this pellet is an Atison’s Betta Food which is made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americas, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104. The ingredients include the following; Fish meal, wheat flower, soy milk, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives. Analysis: Crude Protein 36%; Ash 15%; Moisture 8%; Crude fiber 3.5% and Crude fat 1.5%. This week I observed many organisms that were actively “eating” from the pellet. The most unusual creature I saw was a Microchlamys which I have added a photo below.  I identify this was the help of Figure 10 on page 191 of a book that was located in the classroom titled An Illustrated Guide to Protozoa Society of Protozoologists (Levine, Lee 1985). As I was explained to me by Ken McFarland which the image of, we are looking at the top image of the organism. In addition to this I saw many annelids, but was surprised to not be able to locate the Cyclops. (This was my personal favorite from the first observation) The next week I look forward to seeing all of the new creatures increase in size and see how many new organisms I can locate!
 
Figure 1
 

An Illustrated Guide to the Protozoa. Society of Protozoologists, Lawrence, Kansas. Levine, N. D. 1985. Phylum II. Apicomplexa. In: Lee, J.J

No comments:

Post a Comment