Sunday, November 11, 2012

Life continues!

 
 
This week I viewed my Micro Aquarium on Wednesday November 7, 2012 from 12:00 until 1:31 EST. During this time I saw many microorganisms, many of which I had viewed before. My favorite place to observe was around the food pellet, which was significantly smaller than last week. The activity around the pellet reminds me a busy street in New York City! What I mean by this is that organisms around the pellet are coming in and going at such a crazy pace it is great to view. One of the neatest organisms that I viewed was a Lepidodermella! I was very proud that this is the first organism that I saw and identify by myself. (Later verified by Dr. McFarland) I used page 179 of the book titled A Guide to Micro life to identify the organism. I have included an image of this below as Figure 1. After identifying this I proceeded to the middle portion of the aquarium and witnessed some of the same creatures as before. I was quite disappointed to not see the Cyclops again as it was my personal favorite from week 1. The next image I noted was called a Coleps. This was a very neat creature as it appeared to have several “fingers” surrounding it. You can view some of these below in Figure 2. I identified this microorganism on figure 375 on page 162 of the book titled Free-living Freshwater Protozoa: A Colour Guide. This coleps was moving very slowly and appeared to be glowing due to the fingers around it continually moving. I concluded my ninety minutes of investigation by searching the bottom of the aquarium near the soil area. This portion was not nearly as active as the middle portion. (that is where both images were found, most likely due to the placement of the pellet) When leaving the room I added more water to the aquarium to top it off. Overall this experience, in general, has been eye opening! I would lie if every time I get in the shower I now wonder what may be crawling on me. Even beyond that everything that I drink, and consume, I began to think this sane thing! Look forward to going back and viewing more items next week.
 
 
Figure 1
 
 
Figure 2

 
 
 
Patterson, David J. Free-living Freshwater Protozoa: A Colour Guide. London: Mason Publishing Ltd., 1992. 162. Print
           
Rainis, Kenneth G., and Bruce J. Russell. A Guide to Microlife. New York: Franklin Watts, 1996. 179. Print
            

No comments:

Post a Comment